Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Keeping Busy When it's Slow

How important is keeping busy in an entry-level position? I love a fast paced, constantly moving, never-ending workload environment. I love being busy and knowing that the day will so filled with work that I won’t know how the clock reached 5pm when I’ve barely had time to look up. I love the responsibility of it all – feeling an integral part of the big picture because –even if the tasks are small – project completion relies on all aspects being completed.

Lately I have not been busy. There’s been no press to announce and the bulk of my large yearly project is completed. There are details to coordinate and deadlines to meet but they take up a very small part of the day leaving me with large periods of undirected time. Understanding that I need projects to keep myself sane and happy I’ve begun my own pet projects – developing our (once non-existent) social media presence, blogging, helping to restructure our website and updating our meta tags (SEO). My company allows me a great deal of freedom to develop these areas so it’s been fun exploring ways to make ourselves stronger in areas where we were recently no present.

Still, I wonder how much I need to balance this work with the small assigned tasks I’m expected to complete. Does keeping up with PR blogs and researching new social media outlets look like I’m just messing around online? Reaching out to my boss has been only moderately helpful. Instructed to enjoy the break b/c busier times would come led me to create my own projects. But at least a month later I still am dragging so what I keep wondering is, “What, exactly is expected of an entry-level PR professional with no press to occupy her time?”

No comments: